Friday, September 2, 2011

Dagnab!

Dagnab, I had to post this. After my last post, I went back (for no particular reason) and read the very first post I ever made on The Special Blog of Reginald McNard. Actually, I came across the second post, where I tell this convoluted story about how I wrote and published a short story called "Stick Boys" once upon a time.

Well, suffice it to say, in the course of telling that long-winded story, I mention that I was starting to work on a Stick Boys novel. Reading that made me curious, so I went digging through my hard drive to find that uncompleted novel. I did not find it, although I'm sure it's there somewhere, buried in a folder within a folder within a folder. Instead, I came across a novel I wrote in 2006 called Dreaming of Shadows. It is a completed novel, though it needs a heck of a lot of rewriting and word-love to make it acceptable.

However, what astonished me was how mind-numbingly long the novel is. 196,284 words, to be exact. Let's assume in paperback form I get 300 words per page. That would put the novel at 654 pages. That's a pretty big book for little ol' me. It might've even gotten published if I hadn't given up on the rewrite from absolute burn-out.

Interesting. I shall have to spend some time on this novel when I get done with Mary of Shadows. I already have some ideas on how I might fix the ever-loving stipple out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment