Monday, August 9, 2010

Be Gettin' Published

Just thought I'd mention this here on the official secret writing blog. I already mentioned it on facebook, but facebook won't survive the coming apocalypse, while this blog will. Anyway, all of that is to say, I got another a story published. "Leaping" is now online at Bewildering Stories. It is interesting to read the editor's take on the story (and the bio posted for me).

The online 'zine: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue395/index.html

My story: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue395/leaping.html

The editor's "take" on my story: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue395/miller_welcome.html

and my bio: http://www.bewilderingstories.com/bios/miller_jeffrey_bio.html

It's interesting that the editor saw the story as a version of Pascal's Wager. It's appropriate, I suppose, as I do think in pastorly terms. That was not, however, the actual impetus for the story. It actually came out of Lisa and my anxiety concerning our future, at a time when it seemed we might be leaving Northwest Arkansas (as, in fact, we did). The future had a lot o' uncertainty, and the stress level was elevated, to put it mildly. In fact, I wrote the story during a plane ride coming back from a sabbatical trip to Florida that was meant to ease my stress.

Still, having said that, the story does work as a play on Pascal's Wager. Why not? I mean, really, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment